Thursday, April 23, 2009

Kerosene & Diesel

Kerosene is a hydrocarbon fraction that typically distils between 170-270C (narrow cut kerosene, or Jet A1) or 100-250C ( wide cut kerosene, or JP-4 ).
It contains around 20% of aromatics, however the aromatic content will be reduced for high quality lighting kerosenes, as the aromatics reduce the smoke point.
The major use for kerosenes today is as aviation turbine (jet) fuels. Special properties are required for that application, including high flash point for safe refuelling ( 38C for Jet A1 ), low freezing point forhigh altitude flying ( -47C for Jet A1 ), and good water separation characteristics.
Diesel is used in compression ignition engines, and is a hydrocarbon fraction that typically distils between 250-380C. Diesel engines use the Cetane (n-hexadecane) rating to assess ignition delay. Normal alkanes have a high cetane rating, ( nC16=100 ) where as aromatics (alpha methylnaphthalene = 0 ) and iso-alkanes ( 2, 2, 4, 4, 6, 8, 8 - hexamethylnonane = 15 ) have low ratings, which represent long ignition delays.
Because of the size of the hydrocarbons, the low temperature flow properties control the composition of diesel, and additives are used to prevent filter blocking in cooler temperatures. There are usually summer and winter grades. Environmental legislation is reducing the amount of aromatics and sulfur permitted in diesel, and the emission of small particulates ( diameters of <10um>

1 comment:

  1. GET OUT OF FINANCIAL MESS WITH THE HELP OF drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    I have been in financial mess for the past months, I’m a single mum with kids to look after. My name is REBECCA MICHAELSON, and am from Ridley Park, Pennsylvania. A couple of weeks ago My friend visited me and along our discussion she told me about DR BENJAMIN OWEN FINANCE of (drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com); that he can help me out of my financial situation, I never believed cause I have spend so much money on different loan lenders who did nothing other than running away with my money. She advised, I gave it a try because she and some of her colleagues were rescued too by this Godsent lender with loans to revive their dying businesses and paying off bills. so I mailed him and explain all about my financial situation and therefore took me through the loan process which was very brief and easy. After that my loan application worth $278,000.00USD was granted, all i did was to follow the processing and be cooperative and today I am a proud business owner sharing the testimony of God-sent Lender. You can as well reach him through the Company WhatsApp +19292227023 Email drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete