Monday, April 6, 2009

Effect of Humidity in Octane No

An increase of absolute humidity of 1.0 g water/kg of dry air lowers the octane requirement of an engine by 0.25 - 0.32 MON.
Carburetter icing :
Carburettor icing is caused by the combination of highly volatile fuel, high humidity and low ambient temperature. The extent of cooling, caused by the latent heat of the vaporised gasoline in the carburettor, can be as much as 20C, perhaps dropping below the dew point of the charge.
If this happens, water will condense on the cooler carburettor surfaces, and will freeze if the temperature is low enough. The fuel volatility can not always be reduced to eliminate icing, so anti-icing additives are used. In the US, anti-icingadditives are seldom required because of the widespread use heated intakeair and fuel injection.
Two types of additive are added to gasoline to inhibit icing:-
Surfactants that form a monomolecular layer over the metal parts that inhibits ice crystal formation. These are usually added at concentrations of 30-150 ppm.-
Cryoscopic additives that depress the freezing point of the condensed water so that it does not turn to ice.
Alcohols ( methanol, iso-propyl alcohol, etc. ) and glycols ( hexylene glycol, dipropylene glycol ) are used at concentrations of 0.03% - 1%.
If you have icing problems, the addition of 100-200mls of alcohol to a full tank of dry gasoline will prevent icing under moderately-cold conditions.
If you believe there is a small amount of water in the fuel tank, add 500mls of anhydrous isopropyl alcohol as the first treatment, and isopropyl alcohol is also preferred for more severe conditions. Oxygenated gasolines using alcohols can also be used. It's important to ensure the alcohol is anhydrous.

1 comment:

  1. GET OUT OF FINANCIAL MESS WITH THE HELP OF drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    I have been in financial mess for the past months, I’m a single mum with kids to look after. My name is REBECCA MICHAELSON, and am from Ridley Park, Pennsylvania. A couple of weeks ago My friend visited me and along our discussion she told me about DR BENJAMIN OWEN FINANCE of (drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com); that he can help me out of my financial situation, I never believed cause I have spend so much money on different loan lenders who did nothing other than running away with my money. She advised, I gave it a try because she and some of her colleagues were rescued too by this Godsent lender with loans to revive their dying businesses and paying off bills. so I mailed him and explain all about my financial situation and therefore took me through the loan process which was very brief and easy. After that my loan application worth $278,000.00USD was granted, all i did was to follow the processing and be cooperative and today I am a proud business owner sharing the testimony of God-sent Lender. You can as well reach him through the Company WhatsApp +19292227023 Email drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete